Monday, August 22, 2011

Farewell to Pierre Deux

Sadly, Pierre Deux recently filed for bankruptcy.  To me, this is an absolute tragedy.  Pierre Deux was the definitive resource for authentic French Country home design.  From wallpaper to pen holders, Pierre Deux had it and it was beautifully crafted.


When I went to boarding school I was so excited because I got to pick out my Pierre Deux pattern for my desk.  I have always liked a tidy work space so having matching desk organizers makes me giddy as a school girl.  A few weeks before I started at Ethel Walker I walked into the Pierre Deux in Westport with my mother and I was ready to explore.


This was all before online shopping had become popular so I hadn't pre-selected any particular pattern.  Instead, I walked in fresh, open-minded, and for once, not scared of patterns.


After an hour of agonizing and some gentle encouragement from my extremely patient mother, I selected a beautiful, simple blue pattern called "avignonet" in a traditional Provencal style.  I picked a cloth-covered pen holder, matching tray, and memo pad.


I kept these desk organizers through college and I still have them at my parents house, although they are a bit worse for the ware.  I love my pattern and I am very sorry indeed to see Pierre Deux close it's doors.  This is my final salute to the King of Provencal style.




Holiday ornaments in my pattern.
Photo: Unknown

These days Bloomies holds onto their hangers like Dorothy to her ruby slippers so if you have to buy them, you might as well have a little fun.
Photo: Housebeautiful.com

Toile, stripes, provencal... love.
Photo: Pierredeux.com

This is the tray I have but in a different pattern.  Now I use it for all my perfumes.
Photo: Pierredeux.com

I always think of roosters when I think of French Country style and this rug is fabulous.
Photo: Pierredeux.com



Gardenia Stone wallpaper.  Pierre Deux has the best toile patterns of all time, bar none.
Photo: Pierreduex.com



Avec tristesse, adieu, Pierre Deux.
Margaret


No comments:

Post a Comment