Sunday, August 21, 2011

Ghost Chairs and Lucite Furniture

Time to push some boundaries.  It's not off the wall whacky but it could push you just beyond your comfort zone which I aim to do at The Summer House.


I haven't quite figured out my dream dining room but I do know two things: The heads of the table will have white or silver canopy chairs and the side chairs will be all clear Louis Ghost arm chairs.  

About five years ago I discovered the existence of Lucite furniture.  I had never been exposed to that kind of style and I felt an instant attraction.  It was a shape I was comfortable with but a completely modern take.  It may actually be my favorite piece of furniture.  Sexy, sleek, stylish, traditional, modern, intriguing, invisible.  What other object can be described as such?


Lucite has been used in design for decades but seems to be making a bit of a triumphant return and is still seen as a very modern design material.

Just one Lucite table adds some fun to this room.
Photo: Metropolitan Home


A fresh version of a Lucite bedroom.  The clear bed and white linens make sure the spectacular view is the focal point of the room.
Photo: Architectural Digest

This color palette is simple and I love the concrete floors mixed with the Louis Ghost chairs.  Reminds me of my days at Martha.
Photo: Elle Decor

This Lucite trunk would be a great coffee table.
Photo: House Beautiful

Lucite nesting tables are reemerging recently.
Photo: House Beautiful

This Lucite stool doubles as a magazine rack.  Multipurpose for a small space!
Photo: House Beautiful

A Moroccan inspired Lucite side table.
Photo: House Beautiful

Helena Rubinstein in her famous and fabulous Lucite bedroom.  The headboard and footboard included a light to create the glowing effect.
Photo: Life.com

A Lucite crib means a growing family doesn't have to sacrifice their modern style.
Photo: Elledecor.com

Lucite is remarkably scratch resistant, highly stain resistant, and very sturdy which makes a wonderful family friendly option.  You need not go as bold as Helena Rubenstein but one Lucite piece brings a breath of fresh air into a stale room.


Would you consider adding Lucite to your home?

Margaret

2 comments:

  1. Where can I purchase the clear bed frames?! Help!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Slavica!

      I believe the lucite bed for Helena Rubinstein was custom made. I personally love the Aiden bed from Bernhardt which can be found at http://www.bernhardt.com/product/aiden/beds/acrylic-canopy-upholstered-bed

      Happy hunting!

      Delete