Saturday, August 20, 2011

My Visit to the Vogue Closets

In honor of the upcoming documentary God Save My Shoes I decided to share my brief tour of the Vogue closets.

One of the perks of working in the media world was getting a glimpse of the behind the scenes happenings.  I was lucky enough to have a friend at Vogue and he was able to take me on a tour of the legendary Vogue closet.  It was spectacular!

After much deliberation over what we would wear, my friend Jackie and I walked over to Vogue to begin what was sure to be the most important fashion day of our lives.  What followed was better than anything I imagined.

The hallways were packed with racks of clothing, all with notes on them saying "Gisele," "Kidman," and other famous names for upcoming photo sessions.  We slowly circled the racks taking every ounce of will power not to touch anything because we wanted to remain as inconspicuous as possible.  The walls were lined with stunning photographs of decades past and present.  We were taking it all in.

After a brief, but terrifying run in with Anna Wintour, we rounded the corner and walked into the Shoe closet.

Shoes in every color, style, and texture imaginable.  Rows upon rows all organized by color.  Although there wasn't a lot of light, the shoes sparkled and my eyes danced around the room.  We saw incredible designs by the likes of Manolo, Christian Lu, Gucci, Prada, and more.  I wanted to live in there but we had to press on.

Next up was the Accessory closet.  Going into the Accessory closet was like walking into a better, shinier world.  There were vintage handbags, Hermes scarves, lavish Jewels, and sprightly headpieces.  Despite the coveted items this closet held, it looked much like any other closet - overflowing with things crammed in wherever they could fit.

We didn't want to overstay our welcome so we skipped the Beauty closet and quickly wrapped up the rest of our tour.  With all that adrenaline coursing through our veins, Jackie and I sprinted back to Marthaland feeling simultaneously exhilarated and self-conscious.

I wasn't able to take any photos on my tour but I was able to find a few online and wanted to share.

The Vogue Shoe Closet.
Photo: Youtube.com

Coco Rocha in the Beauty closet.
Photo: Vogue.com

A moment in the Shoe closet from the upcoming documentary.
Photo: Dailymail.co.uk

Carrie Bradshaw discovering the legendary Manolo Blahnik Mary Janes.
Photo: Dailymail.co.uk

The Teen Vogue Shoe closet.
Photo: Teenvogue.com

Make sure to go see God Save My Shoes and rewatch The September Issue and Valentino: The Last Emperor.

Margaret

No comments:

Post a Comment