Thursday, August 18, 2011

My Garden in Edgartown

I have mentioned before how important outdoor space is to Vineyarders.  We live outside in the summer and do all our activities from eating to napping and from playing to showering outside.


When my parents bought our summer house in Edgartown the backyard was in terrible condition. The house had been renovated and restored to it's original beauty but the renovation team forgot that the yard is part of the home.  Before my parents even got the keys they called in the experts on the Vineyard, Donaroma's.  They spent time designing the landscape and creating a concept for the space.


This year the backyard played host for a very special garden party for my father's birthday.  Just this past weekend we celebrated with the family by bringing in a small, but deliciously delectable selection of Soigne's backyard BBQ menu and a wonderful chocolate mocha cake. 


The photos in today's blog are a small tour of our garden on the Vineyard.


Front foor with the oversized clam shell brass doorknocker.
Photo: Meganandmargaret.blogspot.com

The house was built in 1856 and was originally a Captain's house, then a boarding house, now a Schwartz shindig site.  The traditional blue porch ceiling is seen around the island.
Photo: Meganandmargaret.blogspot.com

The front porch offers great views for July 4th fireworks in Edgartown Harbor.
Photo: Meganandmargaret.blogspot.com

The landscape concept changes every summer and this year's theme was pink of all sizes and shapes.
Photo: Meganandmargaret.blogspot.com

A Lacecap Hydrangea bush.
Photo: Meganandmargaret.blogspot.com

Every time I look at this flower I feel joy.  It is larger than my palm and catches your eye as soon as you walk past our house.
Photo: Meganandmargaret.blogspot.com

I picked up this fish doorknocker while on a trip to Malta.  Every single house in the village of Mdina had these and I had to have one too.
Photo: Meganandmargaret.blogspot.com

This stone garden bench is perfect for reading but doubles as a stage for my five year old niece to belt out Taylor Swift from.
Photo: Meganandmargaret.blogspot.com

I wanted to dive into these!  There were hundreds of these Black-eyed Susans that popped up in the past few weeks and I love the color!  It gave Megan and me ideas for fall...
Photo: Meganandmargaret.blogspot.com

My favorite spot on the property.  During the day I like to sit here with a cocktail and a terribly written rom-com novel.   At night every chair we have is pulled around the fire pit while we roast s'mores and well, have more cocktails.  We grow herbs and can't resist the allure of fresh mint in our glasses.

Hope you enjoyed the tour of our garden!

Margaret

No comments:

Post a Comment